Friday, September 29, 2006

South Carolina Bound

Well, here I am.  I have to get out of bed in about 6 hours, and I'm too vamped to sleep.  I have packed all that can be packed (some toiletries need to be packed after my shower in the morning) and the proper travel documents are secured.  The batteries for the camera are charging, and the laptop is ready for action (thanks Mom.)

For the first time on any business trip, Natalie expressed a concern over me flying.  I explained that it's safe, and that I'll call at each stop, but she's worried.  She fell asleep in the guest room, next to my mostly-packed suitcase.  As we were talking, I could see her trying to be rational, but wanting to cry at the same time.  She's a big girl, but she's only 9.  She's trying to process it all.  I have to balance the comforting words with the understanding vibes.  Sheesh.  Parenting is tough!

Dad is letting Kevin borrow the car for the weekend, since he's leaving on the Bike with Mom.  That is great.  Kevin doesn't have to leave at 5am to take me to the airport, or get home after midnight Sunday from picking me up.  The plans are in place, and going quite well...so???

So why the nerves?  Why am I still awake?  Am I worried about my first solo trade show?  No, I'll be fine.  I've traveled with losers that depended on me for every decision.  Am I worried about the long flight?  No, I borrowed a couple of good books.  Am I worried about the lay over in D.C.?  Maybe.  Just a bit.  But it's no biggie, right?  Am I worried about the lack of chances to eat tomorrow?  Probably.  I'm a fat chick, remember?  I like my food!  I need to remember to pack snacks.

Around 8, I leave KC.  Around 11:20, I hit DC.  Around 12:20, I leave DC to land in SC around 1:45.  That leaves 5 hours to check in, set up the booth and EAT before the 7-9 show hours.  Then, on Sunday, the REAL show happens.  It is from 12-4, so I can sleep in if I need to catch up.  At 4, I have to tear the booth down like a mad woman, and head to the airport.

I leave S.C. for D.C at around 7 on Sun. evening, with a 1 hour lay over. From D.C., I fly to KC, arriving around 11:10.  After collecting checked baggage, I'll get home around 1:00 am. 

I've stated the times so that my friends and family can think of me.  I've said before, this is my first solo flight/convention.  I'm OK with it, but I'm a bit needy when it comes to thoughts and prayers.  I can handle the convention, but I'm more worried about flying than I've ever been.  D.C.?  Hell, check my bags, I am NOT a terrorist.  Also, while you're at it, check the bags of EVERYONE getting on my plane, ok?  LOL

I'm scared and excited.  I'm happy and worried.  I'm wide awake and tired.  I'll post again from South Carolina tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what part of SC are you going to ?? I am from SC.  

Anonymous said...

See ya when you get back, Sis.  You'll be fine.  Okay?  I promise.

Love,
Russ

Anonymous said...

You'll be fine... my only concern is that you didn't take the stuff with you that you asked me to print off?????