Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Kevin 'N Stuff

Well, we're trying to be upbeat around here.  Kevin will have surgery tomorrow at approximately 1:00 pm central time.They will go in through the front of his neck, and repair what they can of the 2-3 disks with the problems, then fuse three of his vertebrae together with screws.  As he said today, "no matter how you look at it, I'm screwed!"  LOL  If there's one thing we do well around here, it's joking.  We joke to keep us from crying.  I even told him that I intend to return to work on Friday, since he should be able to do some light housekeeping by then.  Sure, no laundry, but dishes should be ok...right?  LOL

I am worried about work.  Who will take care of my stuff?  I know the answer to that.  Who will pick up the slack for my coworkers who sit around and do little or nothing? I know the answer to that.  Who will be there early to route work?  I know the answer to that.  The fact is, I need to be distracted from the REAL drama, so I'm thinking about the other stuff.

Natalie is asking a lot of questions, and that's good.  She wouldn't even TALK about stuff before her grandpa went in, so every discussion is a bonus.  She tears up, but keeps talking.  An open dialog is always good.  I'm scared to death, but it keeps me calm to talk to her about it.  When I HAVE to be the calm one, I'm good at it.

I didn't want to sit up there alone.  I would have asked Mom to go, but what if the girls had to get home before he was done?  Now, Grammy (Kevin's mom) is coming up to be there.  She worries as much as I do, but it's company.  We'll calm each other down while we freak out inside.  She has lost a son, and worries about her living children.  I have a strong husband who will be weak for a time.  Yes, we'll both be basket cases, but we'll make it through. 

I need support.  I need prayers.  I need good thoughts.  I need whatever you've got.  I need to know that one of my best online buds can hang in there.  I won't give up if you don't, Russ.  I'll hang in there if you can.  I can do this, but I need a support team.  Any volunteers?  Emailing me a phone number will result in a call.  It might be an "all is good" call, or it might be a "it's started now" call.  Tell me what you want to hear, and I'll make the call.  I'll need the distractions...honest.

I thank you in advance for caring.  You've all been great in the past.  Please watch my mom's journal tomorrow afternoon, for an update.  She will have the chance to post, long before I do.  I love you, my 2-3 readers.  Thanks.

BTW, fierro6@earthlink.net is the best email.  I'll check the AOL one, if there's time, but earthlink is the first one I check each morning.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

About Kevin?  I have no doubt the same God who brought Cliff through will take care of him.  About work?  Nobody is indispensible, so stop worrying about it.  They'd replace you in a heartbeat if you croaked.  Meanwhile, you are the best they have, and they aren't likely to replace you.

Anonymous said...

you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers-attitude is very important and you have a very good attitude( humor that's a little off to some,but that's how some of us get through)and also all of what your mom said!!
Hang in there!!
~Terry

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Kevin has my prayers. I will being watching for your Mom's entry tomorrow. I would tell you not to worry but we are women, thats what we do!!! Hang in there girl...
June

Anonymous said...

Saying a prayer for all of you. Paula

Anonymous said...

Phone number coming. Call anytime about anything.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor dear.  This is important surgery.  And this is surgery like many folks do go through.  I know hospitals are scary.  And I know the heart wrench of having someone wheeled away to where you can't see them or touch them.  But you and Kevin will be bathed in prayer!  You'll get though this!!  Because He'll be with you.  And because ya'll are of tough stock.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  I'm sure everything will go well. {{{hugs}}}
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hang in and I do so hope all has gone well.  Prayers for all of you.  {{{{Hug}}}} and a great big hug too.

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to see an entry from you... I saw at your Mom's that you were having trouble connecting.

Kevin will be in my thoughts today and positive energy for all of you! I will keep checking your Mom's J today for updates. Hang in there, you have a LOT of people pulling for you!

Anonymous said...

For '2-3 readers' we sure are chatty, huh?!

Happy thoughts...happy thoughts....  :)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Your mom sent me over with prayers...