Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Kevin

Kevin's surgery went quick, when they finally got him in, over two hours after they had planned.  It was eerie to sit in the same waiting room that we logged so many hours in when Dad was there for open heart surgery.  I never want to see that place again!

The surgeon came out and said everything went well, and we could see him in about 20 minutes.  40 minutes later, no Kevin.  We asked, and they said 30 more minutes.  We waited 40 minutes, but still no Kevin.  We asked, and they said 30 more minutes.  Kevin's Mom demanded to know what was going on.  The girl at the desk said, "I'm sure he's fine."  Ummm, that is NOT an acceptable response to us.  They called down and said they were having trouble controlling his pain, and he couldn't come up until it was under control.  We freaked.

Linda finally found a very sweet nurse lady, who came to the waiting room and said "let's take a walk.  I'm going to let you see him, so you know that he's really all right, but you're not supposed to be down there, so 30 seconds is about all you have."  I love that woman.  I will love her for all time.

We saw him, and he looked good.  Said he still hurt real bad, but that he was fine.  Hearing it from him, and giving him a kiss helped a ton.  Linda headed out to pick up the girls from Mom's and bring them home.  I finally got to see him in his room shortly after 7.

I don't EVER want to see him in that much pain again.  I stayed until after 10, then found out I couldn't stay the night in that room.  It's not a private room, so for the other guy's privacy, I'd have to leave soon.  Kevin (after his 9:30 dose of meds) was actually getting some sleep.  It hurt him terribly to change positions, but he kept trying something different.  We finally got him on his side with a pillow to lean on, and he fell into a REAL sleep.  The first one since the surgery.  I kissed him goodbye and told him I'd be back early in the morning.

There are many details that I will fill in later, but I hope he gets some much-needed rest, without the horrid pain that I watched him suffer through.  I need to get a couple of hours of sleep, so I can get back up there.  Thanks so much for the prayers.  I know they helped a ton.  Just imagine, good thoughts and prayers going up from all different parts of the country, for MY Kevin!

There are many that I planned to call, but it was all so up-in-the-air for so long.  I didn't want to say "all is fine" until I knew it was, and I am barely sure now, at 11:30!  I know it WILL be fine, but it's not yet, and I'm a worrier.  It's what I do, and I'm good at it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh thank god it went so good hope he heals fast ..god bless you all

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the surgery went well.  I hope they are able to control the pain, and that he is resting well.  You get some rest too!
Lori

Anonymous said...

So glad the surgery went well! The pain thing.. not everyone responds to pain AND pain medication the same way, hopefully they will find Kevin's combo and he will get some relief. Still sending all the good energy I can winging his way for a swift recovery!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully when you see him today they will have him on some good stuff to control the pain better. My prayers are still with him for a speedy recovery...Take care of yourself too Rachel, you'll need plenty of rest for when he comes home.
June

Anonymous said...

I keep saying the day they legalize an OTC morphine, I'm all over that business....say hey to Kevin for me...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachael,

I was so thankful to hear Kevin had made it through surgery. I hope his pain control is better now. May God bless you all.


In Christ,
Gabrielle

Anonymous said...

I hate that you are going through this, Rach!!  I'm going through it too with my ma.  Can life please stop sucking soon??!!!  I love you!  Kevin too!

Russ

Anonymous said...

Sending hugs and prayers your way.
Shadie